Friday, January 29, 2010

Greek On Fire

John Gresham Machen (1881 – 1937)


This is just a quick post. Tomorrow is a pretty big day, a kind of landmark for me. At long last, I am starting Machen's New Testament Greek for Beginners.

I'd like to save face and say that this was my first attempt, but it isn't..

I previously made about a quarter semester's worth of progress in this book. So now I am rallying. and resolved to try to make a serious effort in the quest for mastery (or basic grasp) of New Testament Greek for the glory of God.

Week1:

I spent some time this week reading the first few chapters of Machens' book. I discovered that while Koine (Common) Greek was spoken through practically the whole Roman empire, Biblical Greek brought the Koine up to a whole new level. The amazing thing was that it used the Greek language people in ever nation knew and spoke to explain things (spiritual mysteries, things of God) people had never heard of, and in a big way it also brought the language to new heights, while still remaining understandable to everyone who spoke Greek.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Josh


Reform your life and doctrine, meet with God in the text

3 comments:

Laurie M. said...

This was the text I used when I took first year Greek in college. I made it through the whole first year and did very well, but that was over 20 years ago. I still have my Machen text, and even acquired an answer key about a year ago so I could hopefully do some refreshing. I haven't found time yet. I only got back through the first couple of chapters before setting it back aside. My mind is not as nimble as then, nor do I have the hour or so a day to spend on study. You make me want to pick it back up myself. Hmmmmm.....

Josh said...

Wow, that's amazing! Encouraging also.

We are going to try to take a slow go at it, about 15 minutes a day or so. And then meeting a few times a month for lessons.

Laurie M. said...

Now that I see you're updating here I'm trying to think how I can squeeze in a refresher course, following along with you all. Maybe I can. I've already got most of the sounds, etc. and still remember well how to write the characters. Hmmmm. We shall see.

Come, rejoice with me in the glorious truth that death died in the death of Jesus Christ! Everyone is now welcome to come and freely take the water of life. (Rev 22:17)