Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tochimong's Testimony


Every now and then I will post some videos featuring interaction with Indian pastors and leaders. Some will be from local areas, others will be from different states. In particular, I am planning a series of interviews that may shed more light on the current state of Christianity in India.

Today I am posting a five minute clip featuring selections from yesterday's interview which I held with a young pastor from Nagaland, India who is just setting out on the mission field.

For the sake of brevity I have condensed this interview down to three questions out of the original ten.

Questions treated essentially consist of;

1.) What has the Lord done in your life?

2.) What are some important lessons you have learned?

3.) Is there anything on your heart that you would especially like to share with the church in the West?

To assist some or most of you who may perchance have difficulty understanding his accent, I am posting the transcript of the interview below.



[Joshua]
Okay, so I am here with Tochimong who has just completed his bachelors of theology. And he is originally from Nagaland - born and raised in Nagaland. And ah - why don't you just start by telling us a little bit about yourself - where you were born, what kind of environment it was, and how God brought you into the ministry - Just a short five minutes or less summary.

[Tochimong]

Okay, let me tell something about my life, how I came to study theology.

I was born in a Christian family. Even though I was born in a Christian family, most of the time I used to go to church and I used to lead the children and the young people, I never committed fully my life to God. Because when I was studying at high school I did not learn fully about Jesus. At one time I thought to study theology, but because of some financial problem I could not study theology. But one time God called me and showed me in my vision to go and tell whatever he speaks to me. Then I committed fully my life to Jesus.

One time I got sickness. At that time I was praying for healing but at that time I did not commit my life fully to Jesus so He didn't heal me. I was praying... but at last I committed my life fully to Jesus. And after three days I took fasting and then God healed my sickness completely. And then I committed my life fully to Jesus and I started to study theology.
. . .

[Joshua]
Are there any particular lessons in your life which God has taught you, that are important to you?
. . .

[Tochimong]
Yeah. Even though I was born in a Christian family I never did good things for the Lord, though God has done great things through my life. Many times God saved me from the grave.

. . .

And once, the great thing in my life. One vehicle came and hit my body recently. But a very amazing thing happened to me, even though the big vehicle came and hit on my back I did not feel pain on that day and the vehicle owner came and asked me what happened. Then I told the vehicle owner, because I didn't feel anything even though with a broken kidney. So I told that vehicle owner, 'no problem, you don't worry, but you drive carefully, if you hit another person, he will die.'

On that day when the vehicle came and hit me, the sound also came. "Thud" But it never hurt - my life. So God has done great things in my life. Even though I don't have a mother and father, I lack nothing. Every time whatever I need, God provides everything.

[Joshua]

So the final question and this is the one that is probably the most important question and - the least amount of pressure. Is there anything on your heart that you would especially like to share with the church in the West? Anything that is just burning on your heart that you think would be of service to Christians around the world? From your life - from your knowledge of God - anything?

[Tochimong]

Yeah, anytime I am thinking about the Westerner's life, even though I never visited their village - place. I have seen on the television how the Western lifestyle is. Even my people also, they used to imitate how the Westerners are using the phones and speaking. And most of the people they used to imitate the style of speaking, so I want to encourage the Western people to improve their spiritual life and how they are growing their spiritual life. And I want them to come and share their spiritual life.

[Joshua]

Excellent. Well thank you Tochimong for sharing with us. And may God bless you in ministry.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Josh,

Amazing - yesterday at the supper table we were discussing your blog and Rachel voiced that she would love if you would include interviews with the brothers there in India. And wow - here you are today doing just that. So Cool.

Come, rejoice with me in the glorious truth that death died in the death of Jesus Christ! Everyone is now welcome to come and freely take the water of life. (Rev 22:17)