Friday, July 31, 2009

Dead Tired

Yep, I'm Tired


I am a bit tired, but I am going to take a crack at this anyways.

5AM Thursday, July 30th
I had a great 24 hour day yesterday. Shortly after the five O' Clock AM prayer meetings, we drove to the airport and picked up our director. From there we had a short time of thanksgiving and debriefing.

1PM Thursday
Got in some good reading and much needed prayer.

4PM Thursday
Later in the afternoon, the director asked me if I wanted to go with him to the 5th anniversary meeting at a church five hours drive South of here. I accepted his offer and we left at 4Pm. Thankfully we drove at only a moderate speed, even then we narrowly escaping death with each passing moment. Check out Peaceful Insanity to get a faint idea of the experience.

9PM Thursday
By the time we reached the meeting it was 9PM, and I had a smashing headache. And yet in spite of a three day journey across the world, the director still looked very much at the top of his game. (The meeting had been going on for a few hours by the time we arrived)

We walked from the car past the meeting into the house where we were served delicious fried snacks that tasted something like a doughnuts with a sweet honey filling. (Sorry no pics)

9:30PM Thursday
Beyond all my wildest expectations the director produced a type of headache relief pill from his briefcase. Amazingly, it didn't seem to help at all. I was not able to feel one ounce of relief the whole night . "There must be a design in this headache" I thought to myself.

About this time, our director joined the meeting, and I went out and sat down with the crowd. I whipped out my camera and took this video.



Sadly, that would be the first and last video/picture I would take. The freshly overnight-charged battery was dead after a few seconds. I reminded myself that God was in control, and thankfully my spirit remained at peace.

11:15 Thursday
The meeting was over and the believers dispersed for dinner. For some unknown reason my energy level was well depleted by this point.

Since the meeting was over we walked over to the parsonage... hm, before I go on, I should mention something about the meeting ground. It was situated on a plot of ground in the middle of a rice patty bog and was about 150 yards long by 75 yards wide and thankfully was raised up about a foot and a half above the bog that it was situated on.

I estimate conservatively that the surrounding rice field held just shy one million croaking frogs that night.

These little guys croaked up a storm


They fed us a delicious meal of fish, chicken, rice, curd and chilled monkey brains. I opted for just the rice and curd. I was surprised to see the director still going on strong after a three day round the world trip + a five hour drive + speaking for more than an hour at this meeting.

Dinner is Served

(just kidding about the monkey brains, to this day I have never encountered anything of the type)

12:00AM Friday
After finishing dinner, our merry band hopped in the car and we raced back to home base narrowly avoiding death every five minutes or so.

2:00AM Friday
After driving for some time it became apparent that our rent-a-car driver was having a hard time staying awake. This came to my attention after I noticed that he would stop the car every fifteen to thirty minutes to get out walk around and then come back and sit in the car and sleep for five minute power naps. I really wish I had been able to take a video of this. It was one of the more notably odd experiences I have had. Anyhow because of all the stops our homeward progress slowed to a crawl even though the roads were almost completely empty.

Somewhere about this time our director fell into a peaceful slumber.

5:00AM Friday

Hooray! By five in the morning we had made it safely back to home base and I silently gave a prayer of gratitude for our safety.

5:30AM Friday

I took a short nap and then woke up to write this blog post.

I'm out folks.

Grace and Peace

2 comments:

shitio said...

oh what a busy day for you!! i can recollect the dayS of PAUL from the Bible. even paul did lots of travelling and escape many danger accident from his life. I hope u will brings lots of changes in Indian christian life and churches as you intereact and interview to the pastors, leaders and to the believers. may the good Lord bless you and guide you always
SHALOM

Josh said...

Shitio,

Thank you for your kind words.

Sometimes I get a little carried away in writing. While every moment of driving is harrowing, and there are unlimited chances for accidents, I know that this is the typical fare here in India. And thankfully I know that God leaves nothing to chance.

In the end, all I can do is put my trust in God, and thank Him for keeping me safe until that final day when it's time to come home.

Come, rejoice with me in the glorious truth that death died in the death of Jesus Christ! Everyone is now welcome to come and freely take the water of life. (Rev 22:17)