Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Peaceful Insanity


Okay, so a few posts ago you saw the city from the air. Now lets zoom in and take a closer look. This clip shows the view from the back of a Tata Sumo which we rented. We were driving on a small section of the National highway that runs from near Calcutta (Kolkata) all the way down the East coast to Madras (Chennai). It's a relatively peaceful stretch of road, so I don't think you will find yourself getting queasy whilst watching it.




One important thing to keep in mind is that there is a method to the madness. You may have noticed that those motorcyclists who were weaving through traffic appear quite calm. However it's still quite a hair raising experience for first timers.

God has been especially gracious to me in that He has not subjected me to any major accidents. Up to this point it has only been the occasional fender-bender. Most of the time the drivers that Providence has appointed are easy-going and willing to follow the pace of traffic. However I have experienced some rides in India where the drivers thought that driving is a Nascar style sport and therefore we must fly though traffic and livestock at speeds just shy that of light.

"Run little goats, run for your lives" passes through my thoughts during those times.

I will post some more extreme driving clips in the posts to come.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Did you take that pothole picture. I'd forgotten all about that one. good stuff. Thanks.

Josh said...

Someone else took the pothole picture while in Mumbai and gave it to me here in the city.

It's one of my favorites.

Come, rejoice with me in the glorious truth that death died in the death of Jesus Christ! Everyone is now welcome to come and freely take the water of life. (Rev 22:17)