Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Marvel

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Despite our nothingness, the Almighty God bestows His mercies and love upon us.

“Has Jesus saved me? I dare not speak with any hesitation here; I know He has. His Word is true, therefore I am saved. My evidence that I am saved does not lie in the fact that I preach, or that I do this or that. All my hope lies in this that Jesus Christ came to save sinners. I am a sinner, I trust Him, then He came to save me, and I am saved; I live habitually in the enjoyment of this blessed fact and it is long since I have doubted the truth of it, for I have His own Word to sustain my faith. It is a very surprising thing,—a thing to be marveled at most of all by those who enjoy it. I know that it is to me even to this day the greatest wonder that I ever heard of, that God should ever justify me. I feel myself to be a lump of unworthiness, a mass of corruption, and a heap of sin apart from His almighty love; yet I know, by a full assurance, that I am justified by faith which is in Christ Jesus, and treated as if I had been perfectly just, and made an heir of God and a joint-heir with Christ; though by nature I must take my place among the most sinful. I, who am altogether undeserving, am treated as if I had been deserving. I am loved with as much love as if I had always been godly, whereas aforetime I was ungodly.” – C.H. Spurgeon

Let's marvel in His grace.

Sola gratia

Kwame

3 comments:

jim said...

AMEN! To know God's word is true is just amazing!

Scott said...

Hallelujah - just fills me with joy to read this post. Thanks for reviving Spurgeon's counsel and setting it before us again, Kwame.

Kind of reminded me of the roll/scroll from Pilgrim's Progress. "I live habitually in the enjoyment of this blessed fact and it is long since I have doubted the truth of it, for I have His own Word to sustain my faith. ......yet I know, by a full assurance, that I am justified by faith which is in Christ Jesus,....."

scott

Laurie M. said...

Wonderful! That went straight to the sidebar of my blog.

Come, rejoice with me in the glorious truth that death died in the death of Jesus Christ! Everyone is now welcome to come and freely take the water of life. (Rev 22:17)