Thursday, August 27, 2009

What To Do About Closed Doors

God has set an open door before us

Here at the ministry all the doors are locked with padlocks. From time to time keys are lost. Today was one of those days when all the keys to one room were lost.

To share the unique experience of what re-opening a room in India looks like, I am posting a video.

Even though the door was locked, it was not that difficult to open, unlike the doors the Lord shuts. Providently our door was opened in short order and Lord willing it won't become 'shut' again. When God shuts a door, it's shut. When He opens one, nothing anyone can do will close it again. God is the sovereign gatekeeper of every event.

“And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens...

I know your works. Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name."
Revelation 3:7,8



So what to do about closed doors? Seeing if a door is truly closed/opened by God is often difficult to see through the fog of human events. If we have a sincere desire to put God's will first (both decreed and commanded will) and sanctified reasoning coupled with prayer says 'it can and should be opened', I say go for it, and God permitting it can and will be opened since heaven has directed it. Otherwise, if God in His infinite wisdom decreed it not to be opened, all the pounding away will not budge it. And regardless if the door is open or closed our attitude ought to be,

'not my will, but yours, be done.'

Soli Deo Gloria,

Josh



Reform your life and doctrine, meet with God in the text

3 comments:

Scott said...

Good Words.

Good example to always in all the unfolding of our lives see the gospel or gospel illustrations as well as gospel applications.

Laurie M. said...

Thank you for those helpful words. My husband and I are praying about some direction in our lives and your advice is very useful.

jim said...

Good thoughts Josh. Causing me to think about Jesus speaking in John 10:

John 10:7-9 So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. (8) All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. (9) I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.

Thank God, we have an open door! God has given us an open door. He sent His son and whoever enters through the son will be saved. Jesus said, "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out"

(Matthew 24:14. 28:19-20) And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

God bless you as you go wherever God sends you!

Come, rejoice with me in the glorious truth that death died in the death of Jesus Christ! Everyone is now welcome to come and freely take the water of life. (Rev 22:17)