Monday, November 23, 2009

My Most Listed To Music of '09

Keith And Kristyn Getty - In Christ Alone (2007)


This will probably not impress or be helpful for everyone, but I thought it would be worthy jotting down what I liked to listen to this year, at least for the sake of posterity. Who knows, maybe after another twenty years pass I might just wonder what on earth I enjoyed to listen to back in 09?

I am going to try to make this list somewhat scientific. Using iTunes I discovered that there is a discrepancy between what I think I like the most, and what I actually listen to the most. So I am not going to make this a list of what I "think" I liked the best, but rather a list of those I actually spent the most time listening to. It makes more sense to me to do it that way.

This little experiment turned out a little weird. First, for some reason some artists I really like, such as the Gettys didn't even make my great eight albums list this year. Then the odd thing is that there are only two genres on the list, Christian Rap, and Christian Rock. And Rap has seven of the eight places.

That is really strange.

It's odd for many reasons. For one, I listen to Classical music almost every day, and throughout the week some country, various contemporary Christian, worship, even country music. Yet, somehow these reformed rappers seemed to have stole the show for 2009. That is especially significant since before last year, listening to Christian rap had never even crossed my mind.

I credit the new change to their strong messages, coupled with heavy emphasis on theology in the lyrics. Starting there, the beats kind of grew on me.

Note: not all the albums were released in 08 or 09, but rather represent the albums I started listening to this year.



Great Eight List 2009



1. Lecrae: Rebel (Reformed Rap, Southern, 2008)


2. G-Notes: Bright Lights Magic City (Christian Rap, Techno-Hip Hop, East Coast, 2009)



3. Katalyst: Death By Design (Reformed Rap, Midwest, 2009)


4. The Ambassador: The Chop Chop From Milk To Meat (Reformed Rap, East Coast, 2008)


5. Tedashii: Identity Crisis (Reformed Rap, Southern, 2009)


6. Flame: Rewind (Reformed Rap, Midwest 2005)


7. House Of Heroes: The End is Not The End (Christian Rock, 2009)


8. Flame: Our World Redeemed (Reformed Rap, Midwest, 2008)

2 comments:

Scott said...

Where's Shai Linne?

thanks for posting this - from someone who is still musically illiterate.

Josh said...

Surprisingly, Shai's Atonement comes in at about 11 or 12 on my list.

The Atonement is definitely among my top five favorite albums for the year.

Come, rejoice with me in the glorious truth that death died in the death of Jesus Christ! Everyone is now welcome to come and freely take the water of life. (Rev 22:17)