Tuesday, November 03, 2009

What Is The Main Message of Scripture?

St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

The question of the day is, What is the main message of scripture?

There are many routes I could take to answer this question, but I am going to short cut and tell you what I believe the answer is, then go about explaining it.

I believe that scripture above all else, is a book primarily about God, specifically, Jesus Christ. This truth radically changed the way I think about the Old Testament, the way I relate to others, the lost, and especially God.

This truth is certainly the most fundamental change in the way I view the whole of scripture. My own personal discovery of it occurred only when God brought Luke 24 to light for me.

You know the passage, it's the one where Jesus is on the road to Emmaus shortly after his resurrection. He is walking with two men who don't recognize him and he has a powerful, conversation with them. There is a lot of meat there, but the portions which I am focusing on here are found in verses 25-26 and particularly verse 44 when shortly after Jesus appears to his disciples.

Luke 24:44

"And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms concerning me."

Augustine sums up this passage well in a concise statement.

“Our whole purpose when we hear the Psalms, the Prophets, and the Law is to see Christ there, to understand Christ there.” Augustine


Well, that's all I have time for at the moment. It's a glorious and liberating truth, well worth looking into deeper if it's new for you. I find it helpful to remind myself as I am reading the New Testament, and especially the Psalms, Prophets, and Law - Christ is there.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Josh

Reform your life and doctrine, meet with God in the text

[HT: THE RESURGENCE]

No comments:

Come, rejoice with me in the glorious truth that death died in the death of Jesus Christ! Everyone is now welcome to come and freely take the water of life. (Rev 22:17)