Monday, November 16, 2009

The Robe

Demetrius sees Jesus for the first time


The Robe is a 1953 Hollywood film centered around a fictional Roman military tribune (Marcellus) who is involved in the crucifixion of Jesus. The tribune has a Greek slave named Demetrius who briefly meets Jesus during His triumphal entry.

The following will spoil some of the plot, so don't read on if you haven't seen it yet.

One of the amazing things about this movie is the fact that while Jesus is in a few scenes, we are not allowed to see His face. Instead, the director skillfully chose to show the facial reactions of the people who are looking at Jesus.

The effect is much more powerful than many other movies which show the face of the actor who is portraying Jesus.

Demetrius arrives at the cross


Demetrius' heart breaks


Tribune Marcellus thoughtlessly leans on the cross


The blood of Christ is on his hands


"It is finished!"


Marcellus is momentarily unfazed by the Crucifixion

2 comments:

WhiteStone said...

I'm sure I've seen this movie eons ago and had forgotten that they do not show Jesus' face. I am somewhat disappointed with most movies that portray Christ for it seems to me that none can do justice...perhaps I am persnickety, but I seldom watch any of the old movies about Him because of my disappointment in the portrayal. However, I may again watch The Robe given the opportunity. And of course, I like The Gospel of John that we use so often in DCJ. It has a couple minor flaws but is, all in all, a good teaching tool for where we teach. Especially for those who have never before heard the Gospel.

Laurie M. said...

I'm not sure if I've seen this one or not, but your discussion reminds me of Ben Hur. There is a scene where he happens to meet Jesus, whose face is never shown, only reacted to. Very effective, and very reverential.

Come, rejoice with me in the glorious truth that death died in the death of Jesus Christ! Everyone is now welcome to come and freely take the water of life. (Rev 22:17)